FATHER’S DAY sees sons and daughters all over the world pay a big tribute to their father.
If you need a message for your Father’s Day card, we’ve got some words of wisdom from your favorite celebrities and authors.
The best quotes for Father’s Day
1) “A father’s heart is nature’s masterpiece”
This quote, from French writer Antoine François Prévost, may be 400 years old, but its meaning still rings true today.
2) “Being the father of a nation is a great honor, but being the father of a family is a greater joy.”
Nelson Mandela, the inspirational South African anti-apartheid revolutionary and future president, came up with this wonderful quote in April 1992.
Mandela, who died in 2013, was himself the father of six children.
3) “My dad taught me to work hard, laugh often, and keep my word.”
Michelle Obama, the former first lady of the United States, often speaks fondly of her father Fraser C. Robinson III.
In this quote, she reminds us of the example our fathers can set for us growing up.
4) “My mother gave me my engine, but my father gave me my dreams. Thanks to him, I could see a future.”
Iconic singer and actress Liza Minelli credits her father’s support for her career success.
His father, Vincente Minelli, was a director and producer.
5) “A father carries pictures where his money was”
Steve Martin, the American actor and comedian, is the owner of this wonderful quote.
He became a father himself in 2012 at the age of 67, welcoming a child with his wife Anne Stringfield.
6) “A father is the only friend we can always count on.”
This quote, from French author Émile Gaboriau, reminds us that so often our father doubles as a best friend.
It reminds us that in our hour of need we can always count on our father to pull us through.
7) “I talk and talk and talk, and I haven’t taught people in 50 years what my father taught by example in a week.”
Mario Cuomo, the former governor of New York from 1983 to 1994, learned everything from his father.
8) “A near-perfect relationship with his father was the earthly root of all his wisdom.”
CS Lewis, the author of The Chronicles of Narnia, wrote about the wisdom of fatherhood in his book “Phantastes.”
9) “She was not alone, but what stood behind her, the most powerful moral force in her life, was her father’s love.”
Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Mockingbird, wrote this about fatherly love in her book Go Set A Watchman.
10) “Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad.”
Anne Geddes, an Australian-born portrait photographer known primarily for her elaborately staged photographs of infants.
11) “My dad is my best friend, and he always will be.”
Cher Lloyd, an English singer who finished fourth in the seventh series of The X Factor in 2010.
12) “A good father is one of the most misunderstood, least praised, most unnoticed and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.”
Billy Graham, an American evangelist who rose to international prominence in the late 1940s and was considered “among the most influential Christian leaders”
13) “My dad gave me the greatest gift anyone could give: he believed in me.”
Jim Valvano, an American college basketball player, coach, and broadcaster who had a successful coaching career at several schools, including North Carolina State University.
14) “A father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.”
George Herbert, a Welsh poet, recognized as “one of Britain’s greatest devotional lyricists”.
15) “He’s a wise father who knows his own child.”
William Shakespeare, English playwright, poet and actor widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language.